Savory Pumpkin Cake (Nusat)La Cocina de Babel
Drawing its inspiration from the Lombardian region of northern Italy, this recipe for Nusat, or savory pumpkin cake is full of comforting flavors. Combining pumpkin puree, breadcrumbs, egg, cheese, and spices, the Nusat is baked for 45 minutes until set and firm to the touch. This savory pumpkin cake is best served warm with lightly toasted walnuts on top. A vegetarian friendly dish full of warm fall flavors perfect for the dawn of autumn.
- 800 grams pumpkin (washed and seeded)
- 1 onions (medium, peeled and chopped)
- 100 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- 60 grams bread crumbs (plus more for lining the oven dish)
- 1 eggs
- ground nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1Cook the pumpkin in lightly salted water until soft. Alternatively, bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes or until soft.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and a drizzle of olive oil and gently fry the onion until soft. Remove from the pan and keep the butter and oil.
- 3Drain the pumpkin well and blend into a puree.
- 4Place the pumpkin in a large bowl and add the egg, breadcrumbs, pepper, nutmeg, cheese, and a pinch of salt to taste.
- 5Mix all the ingredients together and add the butter and oil from the frying pan.
- 6Preheat the oven to 150 C.
- 7Grease and line with breadcrumbs a baking dish, about 25 centimeters long.
- 8Pour in the mixture and bake for 45 minutes or until set and firm to the touch.
- 9Serve warm and garnish with walnuts.
PER SERVING *
|Calories370Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.