- 1 1/4 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal (stone ground)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted and cooled to lukewarm)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Mix in buttermilk, egg yolks, melted butter, and honey until just incorporated. Do not overmix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until they hold semi-stiff peaks. Fold whites into batter.
- Ladle a scant cup of batter into KitchenAid® Waffle Baker, flip and repeat for other side. Cook for about 4 minutes or until waffles are deep golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a baking sheet in a 225ºF oven to keep warm and repeat with remaining batter.
- Mix 1 cup of shredded cheese into batter prior to cooking. We like a mix of 1/2 cup white cheddar, 1/4 cup manchego, and 1/4 cup grated parmesan. Top with your favorite hearty chili, sour cream, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro.
- Mix 2/3 cup of chopped fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, and chives into waffle batter. Top with a fried or poached egg and drizzle with creamy hollandaise sauce.
- Toss fresh arugula, watercress, or other spicy green with a squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. Top each waffle with a handful of greens, crumbled goat cheese, and roasted pistachios.
|Calories310Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.