Here's a wonderful side dish to serve with roasted or braised pork, chicken, beef, or lamb -- or even fish. It's also supremely easy to make, meaning you can prepare it any night of the week for a quick family dinner. Just saute finely chopped red cabbage in olive oil until tender, then season with salt and a splash of balsamic (or other) vinegar, for a welcome touch of acidity.
- olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 red cabbage (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic cloves (diced)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat a little olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the bay leaf and garlic and saute.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a few minutes until tender. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt.
- Add the vinegar and mix well.
- A simple and tasty side dish.