Serve these topped toasts as an accompaniment to soup or stew, preferably with seafood in the mix. Here, the cod is sauteed with onion, garlic, tomato, and bell pepper until cooked through, then combined with olives and oregano for the topping. The toasts are rubbed with garlic and brushed with olive oil for more flavor notes. Use the best quality bread you can find (or make yourself), preferably a crusty loaf that can stand up to the topping.
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 1 garlic cloves (minced)
- olive oil
- 1 tomatoes (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1/2 green pepper (cored and chopped)
- 1 package cod (frozen, chopped)
- black olives
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil and sauté onion and garlic.
- Add tomato and green pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Add cod and sauté over medium heat until cod is cooked.
- Stir in black olives, to taste.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with oregano and drizzle with olive oil.
- If desired, serve with soup and toasted bread rubbed with garlic and brushed with olive oil.