- 2 tablespoons olive oil (separated)
- 16 ounces smoked sausage (for a healthier option we use hardwood smoked turkey sausage)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion (1 small, ~3/4 cup, diced)
- 2 stalks celery (~1/2 cup, thinly sliced)
- 2 carrots (medium, ~1 cup, peeled and diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 green cabbage (ths of 1 full small, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 15 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 16 ounces baby red potatoes (unpeeled, diced)
- 7 cups swanson beef stock (Swanson's beef broth will also work)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- fine sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- fresh thyme (Optional:)
- sourdough bread (Serve with crusty)
PER SERVING *
|Calories470Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Katie 28 Aug
It came out great!! After almost 6 cups of beef broth, I added about 3/4 water. Just to cut the salt a little bit. I went a little heavy on the spices and probably could have even gone a touch heavier. It was VERY tasty and filling. Even my 2 year old loved it!
Olga 20 Aug
definitely, definitely make this one - its so delicious and quite easy to make!
Hernene d. 27 Jun
It is delicious, all the herbs give it a great taste.
Wong 30 May
I didn’t have italian herbs cause i am living in italy and they don’t have that here. So i replaced it with parsley. And left out thyme and i used chicken broth instead and it turned out really well anyways. I had low expectations but it came out pretty tasty 😍 thanks for sharing
Cynthia 28 May
Delicious! Made a great rainy day meal!
Freddy 3 May
I made this tonight and it was good, I will make it again. Next time I will have to add a little something to it to put a little bit more spice to it for my taste.
Claudia Hoover 29 Mar
Excellent, my husband and I both enjoyed the flavors.
Mellissa Cummins Young 24 Mar
Best cabbage soup ever!!
Amanda D. 13 Mar
I didn’t add the tomatoes because I don’t like them. I used fresh herbs to season instead of dried. This soup is AMAZING. I thought it would taste ho hum yeah it’s soup. But me and my family are scarfing it down.. to the point that it may not be a good for you meal anymore😋.
Cheyenne Longacre 7 Mar
really good and I will try the alternatives.
Bettye Black 27 Feb
Fantastic! I added more potatoes-we like thicker soups
Monica W. 1 Feb
Delicious! Love the vegetables combined with the sausage! Definitely a repeat! And extra sharp cheddar goes very well with this soup!