Sneak a few veggies into your morning with these savory, protein-packed breakfast bites. Perfect to make ahead for busy weekday mornings.
- 8 ounces breakfast sausages (removed from casing)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper (or green)
- 1 scallions
- 9 eggs
- 1/4 cup half & half (or whole milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 12-cavity muffin tin generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place two sheets of paper towels on a large dinner plate, and set aside.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the sausage in the skillet. Cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes, using a rubber spatula to break up the sausage into small pieces as it cooks.
- Transfer the sausage onto the paper-towel lined dinner plate to drain.
- Finely mince the scallion and set aside. Cut the mushrooms in half and thinly slice. Finely dice the bell peppers.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the mushrooms and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes, until the mushrooms are shrunken and browned and the peppers are soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, scallion, salt, and black pepper. Add the sausage, vegetables, and shredded cheese. Fold with a rubber spatula until the sausage, vegetables, and cheese are evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture equally between the 12 cavities of the muffin pan.
- Transfer the pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the egg muffins for 20-25 minutes, until they are golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the muffins to cool for five minutes in the pan. To remove, run a sharp knife around the edge of each muffin and lift up at an angle.
- Plate and serve.