- 2/3 cup arborio rice (or other rice specifically for risotto -)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 6 ounces sausages (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 4 ounces mushrooms (trimmed and sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Heat beef broth and keep hot over low heat.
- In medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add half of the onion and sauté until transparent.
- Add rice and sauté stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes until rice has white center.
- Add red wine and stir well.
- Start condimenti: Sauté sausages in skillet over medium heat until browned and cooked through.
- When rice has almost absorbed wine add a 1/3 cup of broth, stir well.
- Remove sausages from skillet. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes.
- When rice has almost absorbed broth add another 1/3 cup and stir well. Continue adding 1/3 cup at a time and stirring well.
- Add garlic, mushrooms to skillet and sauté until mushrooms are nicely browned. Turn heat to low, return sausages to skillet, stir in oregano, cover and keep warm until needed.
- Before adding the last 1/3 cup of broth to rice, taste a few kernels. They should be just 'al dente' - slightly resistant to the tooth but fully cooked. If more broth is needed add it 1/6 cup at a time and waiting until almost completely absorbed.
- At this point risotto will be thick but not stiff - there will still be visible liquid and it will not hold its shape on a plate. If too stiff, add more broth or water.
- Stir in the Parmesan and condimenti (sausage and vegetables), pour into a bowl or risotto platter and serve immediately. It will continue to absorb liquid and the leftovers (if any) will be very stiff.
|Calories390Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.