- 8 italian pork sausage (links, fresh or fully-cooked)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper (medium, cut into 3/8-inch strips)
- 1 green bell pepper (medium, cut into 3/8-inch strips)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (medium, cut into 3/8-inch strips)
- 4 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 red onion (large, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 14 1/2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 6 hoagie buns (6 to 8 inch)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place sausage links in large saucepan. Add 6 cups water. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted near centers registers 160 degrees F. Transfer sausages to cutting board and cut into 1-inch-thick slices.
- In a large glass or stainless steel baking pan, add the olive oil, red, green and yellow sliced peppers, garlic, red onion, and salt. Add sliced sausage and undrained tomatoes to bell pepper mixture. Mix until well combined. Bake in preheated oven until peppers are soft about 45-55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Slice each hoagie roll lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, the opposite side. Brush the inside of each bun with the remaining 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Place on baking sheet face down in the oven for eight minutes while your sausage and peppers are cooking. Remove and let sit on counter to cool.
- Stuff the warm hoagie rolls with sausages and pepper mixture.