Savory breakfast sausage and earthy mushrooms are the perfect flavor combination, especially when paired with eggs and cheese!
- 12 ounces breakfast sausages (removed from casing)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces shredded havarti cheese (or Fontina cheese)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9x13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place two sheets of paper towels on a large dinner plate, and set aside.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the sausage in the skillet. Cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes, using a rubber spatula to break up the sausage into small pieces as it cooks.
- Transfer the sausage onto the paper-towel lined dinner plate to drain.
- Add the butter to skillet and return to the heat. Once melted, add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, until the mushrooms have shrunken and browned.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper. Add the sausage, mushrooms, and shredded cheese. Fold with a rubber spatula until the sausage, mushrooms, and cheese are evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Transfer the dish to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the casserole for 40-45 minutes, until it is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the casserole to cool for at least ten minutes before serving.
- Cut the casserole into squares, or simply transfer to a plate with a large spoon. Serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories270Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|