- 1 pound bulk pork sausages
- 1/2 cup onions (chopped)
- 20 ounces frozen spinach (chopped, cooked & drained)
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (crushed)
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (frozen, 17 X 13" rectangles, thawed)
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- watercress (fresh, optional)
- black olives (optional)
- twists (lemon peel, optional)
- In a large skillet cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat till sausage is done and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Stir in spinach, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese and oregano. Set aside.
- Unfold the phyllo dough; spread one sheet flat. (Keep remaining sheets covered with a damp towel.) Brush the one sheet with some of the melted butter. Top with the remaining sheets of phyllo, brushing each with some of the melted butter.
- Spread the sausage-spinach mixture lengthwise over bottom third of the layered phyllo dough to within 2 inches of ends. Fold ends over. Carefully roll up phyllo. Place the roll, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with the remaining butter. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or till brown. Garnish with watercress, olives, and lemon peel twists, if desired.