- 500 grams sausages (fresh, the kind in a soft casing)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or more)
- 5 fresh basil (leafs of)
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasonings (optional)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Cut the sausages at the joints.
- Squeeze the fresh sausage meat out of their casings into a bowl and discard the casings.
- Add 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese to the sausage meat.
- If you are using plain sausages, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of Cajun seasonings at this point. Since we used very well flavoured chorizo sausage meat, we skipped this step.
- Chop 5 leaves of basil into small pieces. Add to the meat mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add more if the meat is very dry.
- Mix all the ingredients together and combine well.
- Place 1/2 the meat mixture on a sushi mat lined with a sheet of plastic cling wrap. And press them out to resemble a long roll. Do this again for the remaining meat mixture.
- Use the sushi mat to roll and compress the meat tightly into a roll. Don’t squeeze too hard or the roll will be squashed.
- The complete roll should be tight and even in width.
- Frozen pastry sheets may be purchased from most major supermarkets. Keep them frozen till they are ready to use.
- When they are thawed but still very cold, brush the sheets of pastry with melted butter.
- Place each roll of meat on each sheet.
- Roll the pastry sheet over the meat. Be careful not to squash the meat down.
- Keep rolling till the pastry folds over.
- If the ends are not well filled, tuck more meat in with your fingers.
- Using a very sharp knife, gently cut each roll into half.
- Lay the rolls on a baking tray lined with parchment/cooking paper.
- Using a sharp knife, gently make 3 incisions on the top of each roll.
- Brush the rolls generously with melted butter.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 45mins to 1 hour. Watch over them in the last 15 mins.
- Timing will vary depending on how large your rolls are.
- When the pastry is a darker golden brown, the rolls are ready.
PER SERVING *
|Calories530Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.