With a stuffing of savory sausage, mushrooms, and nutty Parmesan cheese, your dinner guests will be begging you for this pork roast recipe!
- 1/2 medium onion
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (removed from casings)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cover a roasting rack with a sheet of aluminum foil and poke small holes all over with the tip of a sharp knife. Line a roasting pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil and position the roasting rack inside of it.
- Finely chop the onions and mushrooms. Mince the garlic.
- Using a sharp knife, butterfly the pork loin. Position the knife 3/4 inch from the bottom of roast and cut toward the center of the pork. Lift up the top of the meat and continue cutting deeper into roast. Continue lifting the top of the pork as you cut until the it lies as a rectangle. Take care not to cut the pork into two pieces.
- Pat the pork loin dry with paper towels. Season it liberally on both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Spray an extra-large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the Italian sausage, onions and mushrooms. Cook for 7-8 minutes, breaking up the sausage with a spatula, until it is thoroughly browned and the vegetables are soft and caramelized. Add the garlic and thyme and sauté for 30 seconds longer, until fragrant.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Mix with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Spoon the sausage mixture evenly over the surface of the butterflied pork loin. Slow roll the pork loin around the filling and secure with kitchen twine.
- Position the pork loin seam side down onto the roasting rack. Rub the surface of the meat with olive oil.
- Roast the pork loin on the middle rack of oven for 75-90 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 138-142°F.
- Check to see that pork loin is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow the pork loin to rest on the rack for 10-15 minutes. While it rests, it should reach an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Transfer the pork loin to a cutting board. Carve and serve immediately.