- 1 package Duncan Hines Classic Butter Golden Cake Mix
- 3/4 cup brewed espresso (or strong coffee)
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 2 containers salted caramel (Duncan Hines®, Creamy Frosting)
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3 ounces lady fingers
- chocolate shavings (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inches round cake pans.
- Prepare and bake cake mix with water, butter and eggs according to package directions.
- Cool cakes on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely.
- Combine espresso and coffee liquor in medium bowl.
- Poke holes in cooked cakes with a skewer or fork. Brush tops of cake with espresso mixture, reserving ¼ cup to brush lady fingers with.
- Blend half a container of Frosting with mascarpone cheese in a medium bowl.
- Spread mascarpone mixture on flat side of one cake layer. Top with next cake layer and frost entire cake with remaining Salted Caramel Frosting.
- Brush lady fingers with remaining espresso mixture. Press lady fingers around sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
- For a simple dulce de leche, submerge an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in boiling water, simmer for 3 hours (less, if you want it a thinner consistency) and cool.
- Pour 2-3 cups of sugar into a sealable container. Combine with the zest of one lemon, shake well and store. Lemon infused sugar can be used immediately or kept for months, just like regular sugar.
- Keep brown sugar soft by adding a couple of marshmallows to the bag.
- To make crystallized honey liquid again make it liquid again, place the honey jar in a container that allows water to move around it freely. Run under a hot water tap (shaking occasionally) until the crystals have melted.
- Use an egg slicer to quickly slice strawberries. Freshly sliced strawberries are the perfect topping to Angel Food cake!
- Reuse jelly, pickle or mason jars to keep your cupcake liners and icing tips clean and collected.
- Variety is the spice of life, so try different toppings on your cakes. We used spice cake with dulce de leche, fig preserves, powdered sugar, marmalade and ginger preserve, apricot jelly and honey.
- Clean caramel from a pot by filling it with water and letting it simmer on the stove—the warm water will wash it away.
- Whenever grating chocolate on a cheese grater always hold the chocolate cube with the palm of your hand not your fingertips. This method will protect your finger tips from getting nicked.