Here's a way to bake bread (which is more akin to a cake) with the filling already layered inside, like a ready-made sandwich. The batter is stirred together quickly once the mushrooms, bell peppers, and sausage have finished cooking. Half the batter is layered in the baking pan, topped evenly with all of the filling, and then covered wtih the remaining batter and baked until the filling is heated through and the cake is golden brown on top.
- 4 eggs
- 200 grams oil
- 300 grams milk
- 500 grams flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 portuguese pork sausage (salpicão cut into small pieces)
- 100 grams fresh mushrooms
- 6 coriander sprigs (chopped)
- 1 onions (small, chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 5 slices roasted bell peppers (optional)
- olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- Filling Preparation:
- Heat a little olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic cloves and coriander and stir until lightly browned.
- Rinse, dry and thinly slice the mushrooms. Slice peppers into strips. Add mushrooms and peppers to pan.
- Once mushrooms are cooked add the salpicao and stir to combine.
- Let cook until no juices are left in the skillet.
- Set aside.
- While the filling cools, heat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Grease and flour a round cake pan and set aside.
- Batter Preparation:
- Mix the eggs, oil, milk and a pinch of salt. Stir well.
- Add the flour and the baking powder. Mix well.
- Place half of the batter into the pan.
- Top with sausage/mushroom filling.
- Cover with the remaining batter and bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes until brown. Check for doneness (as if it were a cake), remove from the oven and unmold.