Salmon and Prawn Croquettes With Lemony Jalapeno MayonnaiseFOODISTA
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup oil (divided)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (or medium size orange, yellow, 75g, finely diced)
- 1/2 yellow onion (medium size, 75g, finely diced)
- 1 celery stalk (75g, finely diced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 pound prawns (chopped into bite size pieces, An additional 1 – 14.75 ounce tin of s)
- 6,165.5 grams red salmon (or pink, or that has been picked through or 1 pound, 500g poached)
- spring onion (thinly sliced across)
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup mayonnaise (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (– ½ freshly squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper (small, or other chili pepper, finely chopped, for a mild flavor)
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium sized non-stick frying pan over medium high heat; stir to incorporate. Add the bell pepper, onion and celery to the hot oil and butter and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften; add the crushed garlic and sauté for one minute longer. Transfer vegetables with a slotted spoon to a large sized mixing bowl. In the same non-stick frying pan with the moisture from the vegetables, sauté the diced prawns for a couple of minutes or until they just start to turn opaque. Transfer to the mixing bowl with the vegetables.
- To the mixing bowl add the salmon, spring onion, breadcrumbs, dill, sage, thyme, salt, black pepper, lemon zest and beaten egg. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball then flatten to a patty shape and coat both sides with flour; set aside.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup oil into a medium to large size frying pan that has been set over a medium high heat. Once the oil is sizzling hot, add the patties and fry on each side until they are a dark golden brown, approximately 5-7 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with a dollop of Lemony Jalapeno and Coriander Mayonnaise (recipe follows).
- Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.