- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter (chilled and diced + 2 tbsp)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound salmon fillet (skinned and cubed)
- 1 pound leeks (trimmed and sliced)
- 1/3 pound frozen peas
- 1 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 7 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 egg yolk
- Sift 1 1/2 cups flour into a bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup diced butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add a pinch of salt and the whole egg and knead until smooth then wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, place the milk and bay leaves in a pot and add the salmon cubes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 mins until the salmon is just cooked. Remove the salmon from the milk with a slotted spoon and discard the bay leaves. Reserve the milk.
- Cook the leeks in boiling salted water for 5 mins, adding the peas for the last min. Drain well, reserving 2/3 cup cooking liquid. Heat the remaining butter in a pan and sauté the onion for 5 mins. Add the remaining flour and cook for 1 min then gradually add the reserved milk, cooking liquid and wine. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened. Season to taste and fold in the salmon and vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Divide the mixture between 4 individual ramekins. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each out to a circle just larger than the top of the ramekins. Drape the crust over each dish and cut a small hole in the center to allow the steam to escape. Cut small fish shapes from the pastry trimmings and attach to the pies with a little water. Beat the egg yolk with 1 tbsp water and brush over the dough. Bake for 25-30 mins until the crust is golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories860Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat390|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.