Salmon is full of healthy fats and works well with a variety of different flavors, making it extremely versatile. In this recipe, the salmon is seasoned with lime zest and coconut for a tropical flavor. The fish is wrapped in delicate phyllo dough which forms a crisp crust on the outside after being baked. A sweet and savory sauce made with ginger, garlic, ketchup, and soy sauce is a delicious and bold accompaniment for these appetizers.
- 2 salmon loins
- 1 lime juice (and zest)
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons onions (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (not too salty)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 50 grams grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- peanut oil (for brushing pastry)
- Cut each salmon loin into four slices.
- Put them in a bowl, sprinkle with the lime zest, and season with salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion, and cook over low heat for 6-7 minutes, or until it is soft.
- Add the chopped garlic, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and ketchup. Cook for a few more moments, and grind the sauce with a hand mixer.
- If you prefer, you can sieve the sauce to remove onion pieces.
- Cut the sheets of filo pastry lengthwise, to the size of the salmon slices.
- Mix the coconut with the cornstarch.
- Spread out one of the strips of filo pastry, and brush it with oil.
- Overlap with another strip, and brush with oil. Repeat the operation.
- Coat salmon loin with the coconut and cornstarch mixture, and place it on one end of the filo pastry.
- Wrap the pastry around the salmon, and place the roll on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the rolls are golden.
- Serve the rolls with the oriental sauce.
PER SERVING *
|Calories140Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat90|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.