- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1/4 cup seasoning (sushi)
- 4 nori sheets
- oil (for deep-frying)
- 14 ounces salmon fillet (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (seasoned)
- 1/2 cup tempura batter (basic)
- 1 cucumber (sliced into strips)
- 1/3 cup Japanese Mayonnaise
- wasabi paste (to serve)
- pickled ginger (to serve)
- soy sauce (to serve)
- Cook rice following packet instructions. Drain well and spread out on a tray. Drizzle sushi seasoning over, breaking up lumps with a spatula. Chill until cool.
- Place nori sheet on bamboo mat. Spread 1/4 of the rice over, leaving a 1/2 inch border on long edge.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan on high, until a droplet of batter sizzles as soon as it is added. Dust salmon in flour. shaking off excess. Dip into batter. shaking off excess. Gently lower into oil and cook for about 30 seconds, or 1 minute if you prefer your salmon cooked all the way through. Drain on a paper towel.
- Arrange 1/4 each of salmon, cucumber and mayonnaise across the center of rice-topped nori. Use index fingers and thumbs to roll, pulling back mat as you go.
- Gently press mat to shape and seal the roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Use a sharp knife wiped with a damp cloth to cut each roll into 8, wiping the knife after each cut. Serve with wasabi paste, pickled ginger and soy sauce.
|Calories110Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.