This zesty, fresh, French inspired dish is a picnic must-have. Delicate, colorful, flavor-packed jam atop a thick slab of flavorful cream all neatly stacked on a small crispy biscuit. The fresh flavors of vibrant lemon, supple red peppers, and earthy saffron blend together to create an aromatic and colorful starter. Add a small amount of brown sugar helps soften the acidity of the other elements. 4 ingredients are all it takes to create this appetizer masterpiece
- 1 kilogram red peppers
- 500 grams brown sugar
- 4 pinches saffron threads
- 1 lemon
- Cut the peppers into 2 lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Preheat oven to 240C.
- Bake the peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, skin side up for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Put them in a closed plastic bag and let aside about 10 minutes. (This makes the skin easier to remove.)
- Remove the skin and cut it into slices.
- Take the lemon zest and press it. In a skillet, add the peppers, zest, juice, brown sugar and saffron.
- Stir all the ingredients and let stand for 30 minutes until the sugar melts.
- Bring to a boil, pepper and simmer for an hour over low heat.
- In the same way you would for a jam, do not forget to scald your jar before pouring in your jam, seal it hermetically, turn it over and let it cool.
- Cut cheese slices and place a teaspoon of jam on the Sainte-Moorish.