- 1 saffron (pkt or 1 level tsp)
- 150 milliliters milk
- 225 grams white flour (selfraising)
- 1 salt
- 1 baking powder (level tsp)
- 40 grams unsalted butter (firm, or margarine)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- beaten eggs
- In a saucepan with half of the milk. Bring lust to the boil then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 20 minutes and cool.
- Sift the flour salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the butter cut into small pieces and rub in using the fngertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Using a roundbladed knife stir in the saffron milk and half of the remaining milk Mix to a soft dough adding the rest of the milk if the mixture is too dry: it should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Knead lightly and roll out to a 20mm thickness.
- Cut out rounds using a 50mm cutter. Place on the baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg.
- Bake on the top runners of the roasting oven for 10 to 12 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve split with butter or clotted cream and fruits.