These saffron buns and spiced wine are typically served on December 13th, the feast of St. Lucia in Sweden. Made with saffron, these sweet yeast rolls can easily be prepared in a bread machine. Following tradition, the buns are shaped into an 'S' shape before being left to rise and then baked until golden brown. The spiced wine is easily prepared in just 15 minutes by heating fruity red wine with sugar and spices. Serve together and enjoy this Swedish winter tradition.
- 1 pinch saffron (strands)
- 325 milliliters milk
- 1 medium egg
- 600 grams strong flour
- 125 grams butter
- 85 grams cane sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 11 grams yeast (dried brewer’s)
- 1 beaten egg (for brushing)
- sesame seeds (to decorate)
- 1 bottle red wine (fruity)
- 50 grams fresh ginger (cut in rings)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 8 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons almonds (optional)
- 4 teaspoons raisins (optional)
- Toast the saffron strands in a dry frying pan for a few seconds. Set aside.
- Place all the ingredients in the bread maker, except the butter for brushing and the sesame seeds.
- Crumble the saffron with the fingertips onto the flour mixture.
- Set the program to ‘dough.’
- When the program has finished, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently press down to allow the air to escape.
- Cut into portions of 80 grams each.
- Shape into balls and then stretch out the dough into lengths of 30 centimeters.
- Form the dough into an ‘S’ shape.
- Place the dough balls onto a lined baking tray, leaving plenty of space in between to expand.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to rise for 1 hour in a warm place, without drafts.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Brush the dough with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cook for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- To prepare the spiced wine: place the wine with the spices and sugar into a pan and gently heat for 10 minutes.
- Simmer without boiling for 5 minutes.
- Serve with almonds and raisins and delicious freshly baked saffron buns.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1020Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.