Saffron Buns with Spiced Wine (Bread Maker Recipe)La Cocina de Babel
These saffron buns and spiced wine are typically served on December 13th, the feast of St. Lucia in Sweden. Made with saffron, these sweet yeast rolls can easily be prepared in a bread machine. Following tradition, the buns are shaped into an 'S' shape before being left to rise and then baked until golden brown. The spiced wine is easily prepared in just 15 minutes by heating fruity red wine with sugar and spices. Serve together and enjoy this Swedish winter tradition.
- 1 pinch saffron (strands)
- 325 milliliters milk
- 1 medium eggs
- 600 grams strong flour
- 125 grams butter
- 85 grams cane sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 11 grams yeast (dried brewer’s)
- 1 beaten eggs (for brushing)
- sesame seeds (to decorate)
- 1 bottle red wine (fruity)
- 50 grams fresh ginger (cut in rings)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 8 clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons almonds (optional)
- 4 teaspoons raisins (optional)
- 1Toast the saffron strands in a dry frying pan for a few seconds. Set aside.
- 2Place all the ingredients in the bread maker, except the butter for brushing and the sesame seeds.
- 3Crumble the saffron with the fingertips onto the flour mixture.
- 4Set the program to ‘dough.’
- 5When the program has finished, turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently press down to allow the air to escape.
- 6Cut into portions of 80 grams each.
- 7Shape into balls and then stretch out the dough into lengths of 30 centimeters.
- 8Form the dough into an ‘S’ shape.
- 9Place the dough balls onto a lined baking tray, leaving plenty of space in between to expand.
- 10Cover with a cloth and leave to rise for 1 hour in a warm place, without drafts.
- 11Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- 12Brush the dough with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 13Cook for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 14To prepare the spiced wine: place the wine with the spices and sugar into a pan and gently heat for 10 minutes.
- 15Simmer without boiling for 5 minutes.
- 16Serve with almonds and raisins and delicious freshly baked saffron buns.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1020Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.