Sachertorte–Austrian Chocolate CakeLa Cocina de Babel
Invented by the Austrian Franz Sacher back in 1832, this Sachertorte is a Viennese dessert classic. Combining rich melted dark chocolate into the cake batter, this Austrian Chocolate Cake is covered with apricot jam after baking and then topped with a rich chocolate ganache. The cake batter is made with a combination of ground almonds and potato starch for a dense, moist cake that captures the melted chocolate beautifully. Your chocolate loving friends and family will thank you for this delicious dessert.
- 210 grams butter (at room temperature + a little extra for greasing)
- 160 grams fructose (or 320 gr. sugar)
- 8 eggs (separated)
- 210 grams dark chocolate (Lindt 70 % cocoa, chopped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 grams potato starch
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 1 jar apricot jam
- 110 milliliters water
- 80 grams fructose (or 160 gr. sugar)
- 175 grams dark chocolate (Lindt 70 % cocoa)
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
- 2Grease the molds well.
- 3Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt in a double boiler. Stir continuously until completely melted. Set aside.
- 4Alternatively, use a microwave and stir every 50 seconds until melted. Set aside.
- 5Beat the butter with the fructose or sugar until light and creamy.
- 6Add the egg yolks while continuing to beat.
- 7Add the melted chocolate, vanilla, potato starch, and ground almond. Mix well and set aside.
- 8Whisk the egg whites with the remaining fructose or sugar until firm.
- 9Gently fold in the egg whites into the mixture.
- 10Transfer to the molds and cook for 25–30 minutes (for the small molds) or 35–40 minutes (for the large mold), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 11Leave to cool before removing from the mold.
- 12Gently heat the jam and blend until smooth.
- 13Spread the jam over the cake and leave to cool.
- 14To prepare the topping, heat the water and the fructose or sugar until boiling and the sugar dissolves.
- 15Remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until completely melted and the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- 16Leave to cool slightly and pour over the cake to cover completely. (Place on a rack over a large bowl to collect the chocolate and re-use it to cover any missed areas).
- 17Decorate with sugar pearls and serve with whipped cream.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1450Calories from Fat860|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat860|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.