American campfire twist on the classic millionaires shortbread. Alternative to millionaires / s'mores we combined the two! Digestive biscuit / graham cracker base, salted caramel, marshmallow fluff, chocolate & finished with toasted marshmallows.
- 250 grams digestive biscuits (base)
- 100 grams butter (melted, base)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (base)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour (base)
- 1 can condensed milk (caramel)
- 200 grams caster sugar (caramel)
- 250 grams butter (caramel)
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup (caramel)
- 3 teaspoons sea salt (to taste, caramel)
- 130 grams marshmallows (white, marshmallow fluff)
- 2 tablespoons sugar syrup (marshmallow fluff)
- 300 grams milk chocolate (melted)
- mini marshmallows
- In a food processor blitz the biscuits to a crumb and add the rest of the ingredients and blitz again until they are all fully incorporated.
- Line a 9" baking tray with greaseproof paper and firmly press the crumb mixture down to the bottom, bake at 180C for 10mins.
- For the caramel: Mix together all the ingredients (apart from the salt) in a non-stick saucepan on a low heat. Let the caramel cook to a deep brown toffee colour, be careful not to let it stick to the bottom or burn. (This may take a while so be patient).
- Add as much salt as you want at the last moment and pour over the biscuit base and pop in the fridge to set.
- Now for the marshmallow layer, bring a saucepan of water to the boil and place a heat-proof glass bowl over the top to create a bain-marie. Put the marshmallows in the bowl and keep stirring till the marshmallows begin to melt and become sticky.
- Add the sugar syrup and stir till the marshmallow fully melts to a smooth consistency. Spoon on top of the caramel and smooth out using the back of a spoon or spatula, don't worry about trying to get it too smooth as it settles out pretty evenly as it cools. Pop back in the fridge to set again!
- Once the marshmallow is set, pour the melted milk chocolate over the top, giving the tin a little shake, from side to side, to even out.
- Sprinkle over some marshmallows and crushed biscuit - using a blow torch toast the edges of the marshmallows & place in the fridge, overnight will give you best results but an hour or two is fine.
- Cut the millionaires shortbread into pieces, we chose to do 1.5 inch squares so they were bite size (ish)!
PER SERVING *
|Calories350Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.