Russian PlaitL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Named for the braided hair this sweet bread resembles, this recipe is leavened with brewer's yeast. After it's left to rise, it's rolled out and spread with a sugar and butter filling; then, it's braided, baked and garnished with cocoa or powdered sugar. Cinnamon sugar is another common filling. Once you make them, let us know what you liked about the recipe and if there's anything you did differently in the comment thread below.
- 20 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 250 milliliters milk (warm)
- 2 eggs
- 600 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 130 grams sugar
- 140 grams butter (softened)
- cocoa powder (or powdered sugar)
- 1Mix the milk and yeast in a bowl. Add a little flour and mix into a smooth paste.
- 2Sprinkle with a layer of flour, cover, and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- 3Add the eggs, flour, salt, 100 grams of sugar and 90 grams of butter and mix well. Form into a dough ball that is smooth ,,ut not sticky.
- 4Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 5Place on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle of 1/2-centimeter thick.
- 6In another bowl, mix the remaining sugar and butter.
- 7Spread with the filling, roll up and cut off a slice, 2.3 centimeters wide, and set aside.
- 8Cut the roll of dough almost in half lengthwise, stopping 2 centimeters from the end.
- 9Take one half and place across the top of the other half, in the form of a plait. Continue in this way until the end.
- 10Place the plait on a baking sheet and top with the remaining strip of dough as decoration.
- 11Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 12Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 13Bake for 30 minutes. If it browns too quickly, cover with aluminum foil after 15 minutes.
- 14Allow to cool and brush with milk. Sprinkle with cocoa powder or powdered sugar when dry.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1040Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.