- 1/4 cup milk (gently warmed to 105°)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 medium eggs (beaten)
- 5 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 Orange (zested and juiced)
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 3 kiwis (peeled and sliced)
- 1 mango (small, ripe, peeled and sliced)
- 4 passion fruits (halved with the pulp removed)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix together the milk and yeast and leave until foamy. Mix 2 tbsp of the sugar with the flour and a pinch of salt. Combine flour mixture with milk mixture in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix until the dough is smooth and shiny. Add the softened butter and knead until the butter is absorbed. Cover the dough and allow to proof in a bowl in a warm place for about 45 mins.
- Grease a ring or doughnut pan and dust with flour. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead again. Fill the ring pan with the dough, ensuring that each ring is about two-thirds full. Leave to rise for about 30 mins.
- To make the syrup, pour the orange juice, zest and 1 cup of water into a pan and add the rest of the sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 mins until the sugar has dissolved. Add the rum, stirring briefly. Remove from the heat and set to one side to cool.
- Bake the dough in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15-20 mins, until golden brown. Remove from the tray and place on a wire rack. While the babas are still warm, soak them in the rum syrup and return them to the wire rack to allow them to cool.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla extract. To serve, put a dollop of whipped cream on the babas and decorate with the exotic fruit.
|Calories190Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.