- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons pepper (seasoned)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 1/2 pounds leg of lamb
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves (fresh)
- 12 potatoes (about 5 lbs, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- To prepare the lamb, combine the oil, zest, juice, wine, pepper and thyme in a medium bowl and mix well. Trim the excess fat from the lamb. Using the point of a knife, make 12 incisions evenly over the top of the lamb leg. Place a slice of garlic and some of the rosemary leaves in each incision. Pour the marinade over the lamb, cover and refrigerate, turning the lamb occasionally, for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain the lamb, reserving the marinade. Place the lamb in large roasting pan and cook, uncovered, for 40 mins.
- To make the lemon potatoes, place the potatoes in a bowl, then pour over the combined remaining ingredients and mix well. Add to the roasting pan with the lamb and roast for a further 50 mins, turning occasionally, or until the lamb and potatoes are tender. Remove the lamb from the pan, cover, and keep warm. Drain the juices from the pan and reserve.
- Increase the oven temperature to 475°F. Bake the potatoes for a further 20 mins or until browned and crisp. Remove from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Heat the reserved marinade and reserved juices in the roasting pan (check that it is flame-proof) on the stove and bring to a boil. Serve the lamb sliced with the lemon potatoes and, if desired, steamed green beans.
|Calories820Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.