- 2 1/4 pounds beef stew meat (cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 7 ounces button mushrooms (halved)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 beef bouillon cube (crumbled)
- 13 1/2 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary leaves (fresh, chopped)
- 2 1/4 cups self rising flour
- 5 tablespoons butter (diced)
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss beef in flour, shaking off excess. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Working in batches, cook beef for 3 mins, or until browned. Set aside. Add remaining oil and sauté onions and carrots for 5 mins, or until softened. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 mins, or until softened.
- Add wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 mins, or until reduced by 1/2. Return beef to dish. Add bouillon cube, 1 2/3 cups boiling water, tomatoes and rosemary. Bring to a boil then transfer to oven and bake, covered, for 1 hour 30 mins, or until beef is tender.
- Sift self-rising flour into a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Season. Add Parmesan and parsley. Add milk and stir to combine. Drop spoonfuls of mixture onto hot beef mixture and bake for another 20-25 mins, or until golden.
|Calories490Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.