- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (plus extra to serve)
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger (peeled, grated)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1/4 pounds leg of lamb (boneless, trimmed, cubed)
- 3 onions (2 roughly chopped, 1 thinly sliced)
- 4 red peppers (halved, deseeded, 1 roughly chopped, remainder sliced)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped, plus extra to serve)
- 2 red chilies (deseeded)
- 5 tablespoons butter (or ghee)
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 1/2 ounces baby spinach
- steamed rice (to serve)
- papadums (or naan, to serve)
- raita (tomato, to serve)
- Combine yogurt, ginger, garlic, turmeric and ground coriander. Add lamb and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for about 1 hour to marinate.
- In a food processor, combine chopped onions, chopped pepper, cilantro roots and chilies. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat. Add remaining onion and peppers and garam masala. Sauté for 2-3 mins, until golden. Add chili paste and paprika. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, for 5 mins. Add lamb, diced tomatoes and stock. Season. Bring to a boil then simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour - 1 hour 30 mins, until meat is very tender. Add spinach and cilantro leaves.
- Serve with extra cilantro, rice, papadams, yogurt and raita.