Making your own jam (or "putting up" as the common parlance goes) is much easier than you may think, and worth the time spent sterilizing the canning jars. A Thermomix simplifies the process even more, taking the guesswork out of figuring out whether the jam has reached the proper consistency. Pears, brown sugar, port, and cinnamon lend this jam deep autumnal flavors, perfect for spreading on crackers or even serving alongside roast pork.
- 750 grams pears (unpeeled and pitted)
- 250 grams brown sugar
- 150 grams white sugar
- 1/2 lemon (medium, juice)
- 1 cup port wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Place all the ingredients in the Thermomix cup and let stand for 30 minutes to macerate.
- Turn on the machine and set to 25 minutes/212°F/spoon speed.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and mix at speed 4-5, until the jam reaches desired consistency.
- Pour and spoon the jam in sterilized jars and cover immediately.
- Turn the jars upside down to create a natural vacuum until cooled.
- Serve with toast, bread, or crackers.