- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 vanilla beans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 12 ounces strawberries (hulled and quartered)
- 1 tablespoon raw cane sugar
- For the strawberries: Toss the berries with the tbsp of sugar and spread them out in an even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast them in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes until they have reduced in size and are starting to release their juices. The edges of the strawberries should be caramelized. Cool the strawberries completely before using. These can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge.
- For the ice cream base: Add the coconut milk, 1/2 cup of raw cane sugar, and the cardamom to a sauce pan. Using a small knife, cut down the length of the vanilla bean and scrape all of the seeds into the coconut milk mixture. Add in the vanilla bean as well. Heat the mixture over medium, whisking to incorporate the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove it from the heat. Stir in the xanthan gum or vodka if using. Cover the mixture and allow it to chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. **If you are making popsicles instead of ice cream, add the roasted strawberries to your ice cream base, remove the vanilla bean halve, then pour it into your popsicle molds and freeze at least 4 hours. If using wooden sticks, freeze the popsicles one hour before inserting them. **
- For the ice cream: Remove the vanilla bean halve from the ice cream base and discard it. Process the mixture according to the manufacturer's instructions on your ice cream maker. I added in the strawberries after about 10 minutes when the mixture starting getting thicker and gaining a bit of volume. Eat immediately (it will be somewhat soft), or place in an airtight container in the freezer. Makes approximately 6 to 8 servings.
PER SERVING *
|Calories280Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.