Roasted Pork Chops with Autumn Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed SpinachPork
Quickly roasted seasoned pork chops are paired with a winter squash puree and sautéed spinach: A perfect weeknight supper for autumn or winter. Serve all with warm focaccia wedges.
- 4 pork chops (3/4-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 butternut squash (small, peeled, seeded and cubed)
- 1 pound small red potatoes (quartered)
- 4 tablespoons light cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach (washed, trimmed and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1In small bowl combine thyme, cumin, oregano, black pepper, cinnamon and allspice; coat chops generously with seasoning and place in shallow roasting pan. Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan cook the squash and potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 10-15 minutes; drain, add cream, butter and salt to pan and mash the vegetables. Salt to taste and keep warm.
- 3Roast chops for 15 minutes, until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160 degrees F and browned.
- 4Sauté spinach and garlic in olive oil in large skillet until spinach is wilted and garlic tender, about 2 minutes. Add raisins, salt to taste and red pepper flakes, stir.
- 5Serve chops with spinach and mashed potatoes with sauce.