- 4 pounds pork belly
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1 apple (cored and sliced)
- 10 sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 head garlic (lightly smashed)
- sea salt (corse)
- Score the skin of the pork belly. Rub with corse sea salt, rewrap in butcher or parchment paper and refrigerator overnight.
- An hour before roasting, take out the meat to bring to room temperature. Pat dry and sprinkle skin with fennel seeds and sea salt.
- Pre-heat oven to 450F
- Arrange sliced apple and onion in the bottom of a large roasting pan. Add sage leaves and garlic cloves. Place the pork on top of the apple and onion.
- Roast the pork in oven for 30 minutes at high heat to start the crackling. Reduce the oven to 300F and continue to cook for 2.5 - 3 hours until fat is rendered and meat is tender. If the crackling needs more time, place meat under the broiler rotating to crisp the skin.
- Allow meat to rest for 20 minutes before slicing