This roasted pork belly is simple and delicious. The long, slow roasting makes for tender meat.
- 2 pounds fresh pork belly (skin on)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- kosher salt
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place pork belly in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. This makes it easier to cut when cold. Score the skin on the top of the pork belly diagonally to create 1 to 1 1/2-inch diamonds. Brush pork all over with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place pork, skin side up, on an oven-safe flat rack in a rimmed cooking sheet. Cook for 30 minutes at 425F.
- Remove from oven, lower oven temperature to 325F.
- Mix together apple juice and honey in a small bowl. Brush the top of the pork belly with glaze and return to oven. Cook for an additional 25 minutes per pound (about 50-60 minutes), basting occasionally with the remaining honey glaze during this time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing. Slice into 2-inch strips.