Roasted Free Range Chicken with RiceHoje para Jantar
Free range chicken will be larger than those that are not labelled as such, and they are worth the extra money for their superior taste and texture. That's especially important when the chicken will be roasted as the centerpiece of the meal. Here, the chicken is topped with aromatics and tomatoes and first roasted skin side down before flipping and finishing with the skin side up, so it can turn gloriously browned and crispy. What's more, the rice is cooked right in the same pan.
- 1/2 free-range chickens
- 4 tomatoes (ripe, peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1 onions
- 1 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 50 milliliters olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups rice (aromatic)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 50 milliliters white wine
- 1 sprig parsley
- 1Arrange chopped onion, garlic, bay leaves and olive oil in a glass baking dish.
- 2Add chopped tomatoes.
- 3Place chicken on vegetables with skin side down.
- 4Season with a pinch of salt, keeping in mind that chicken broth is salty.
- 5Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then flip chicken.
- 6Baste with wine and simmer for 30 additional minutes.
- 7Prepare chicken broth.
- 8Remove baking dish from oven and add rice and pour boiling water over rice.
- 9Stir with a fork. Bake again until the rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- 10To serve, garnish with chopped parsley.