Free range chicken will be larger than those that are not labelled as such, and they are worth the extra money for their superior taste and texture. That's especially important when the chicken will be roasted as the centerpiece of the meal. Here, the chicken is topped with aromatics and tomatoes and first roasted skin side down before flipping and finishing with the skin side up, so it can turn gloriously browned and crispy. What's more, the rice is cooked right in the same pan.
- 1/2 free range chicken
- 4 tomatoes (ripe, peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 50 milliliters olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups rice (aromatic)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 50 milliliters white wine
- 1 sprig parsley
- Arrange chopped onion, garlic, bay leaves and olive oil in a glass baking dish.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Place chicken on vegetables with skin side down.
- Season with a pinch of salt, keeping in mind that chicken broth is salty.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then flip chicken.
- Baste with wine and simmer for 30 additional minutes.
- Prepare chicken broth.
- Remove baking dish from oven and add rice and pour boiling water over rice.
- Stir with a fork. Bake again until the rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- To serve, garnish with chopped parsley.