Even though the fish is finished in the oven, this recipe calls for poaching it first in salted water briefly, to ensure that they will be cooked through and still moist and juicy. That poaching liquid is then put to good use in making a sauce with cilantro, mustard, and lemon juice that's poured over the fish before sprinkling it with cheese and baking to melt the cheese and brown the topping.
- fish fillets
- 3 sprigs coriander
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1 lemon (juice)
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- mozzarella cheese (or other melting cheese, for gratin)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- Blanch fish in boiling, salted water.
- Reserve water.
- Remove fillets and place in a baking dish.
- For the sauce, mix a little fish cooking water, coriander, mustard and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Mix in cornstarch and stir vigorously with a whisk.
- Cover fillets with sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, if desired.