Roasted Cod with VegetablesAs receitas lá de casa
Cod is by far the most popular fish in Portuguese cooking, where it is most often paired with potatoes in all manner of preparations, including this traditional one. The potatoes are boiled along with eggs (another common companion) before slicing and layering along with sliced onions in the serving dish and topping with sauteed vegetables and then cooked cod, with more sliced potatoes and the boiled eggs as a decorative garnish.
- potatoes (to taste)
- 4 eggs
- olive oil
- 2 onions (large)
- 2 leeks
- 3 carrots
- 6 cilantro (garlic cloves, to taste)
- 800 grams shredded cod (skinless and boneless)
- olives (to taste, sliced and pitted)
- 500 milliliters Béchamel Sauce
- 1Cook potatoes and eggs in plenty of boiling water until potatoes are knife-tender and eggs are hard-boiled.
- 2Drain and set aside.
- 3Cover half the bottom of a medium-sized frying pan with olive oil and brown onions.
- 4When onions are very soft, remove from heat. Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 5Cover the bottom of a baking dish with onions. Cover onion with a layer of potatoes.
- 6In the same skillet, heat more olive oil and sauté thinly sliced leeks and grated carrots.
- 7Cook until vegetables are soft. Place cooked vegetables on top of potatoes in the baking dish.
- 8Heat more olive oil, and sauté 6 thinly sliced garlic cloves and chopped cilantro, to taste.
- 9Add cod and cook until water released by the fish evaporates. Arrange fish in baking dish on top of vegetables.
- 10Cover with a layer of potatoes.
- 11Garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs and olives.