This sweet and sour chicken dish is quick and easy enough to make for a family dinner on even the busiest of weeknights, and will appeal to all ages (but perhaps especially kids). The sweetness comes from honey and the sour from both lemon juice and orange juice. Fresh cilantro adds bright notes to both the seasoned marinade for the chicken as well as the rice that is served as an accompaniment.
- 1 chicken (skinless and cut in small pieces)
- garlic cloves (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- cilantro sprigs
- 1 Orange (juice)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Arrange chicken pieces in baking pan and season with garlic cloves, salt, pepper, lemon juice and cilantro sprigs.
- Cover and marinate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (approximately 375°F).
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together orange juice and 3 tablespoons of honey.
- Remove chicken from oven and sprinkle with the orange and honey sauce.
- Bake for 1 additional hour.
- Turn chicken pieces twice during baking. Serve with cilantro white rice.