- 1 cup brown basmati rice (or wild rice blend, soaked in)
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock (to 2)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt (unrefined)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 onion (medium large, diced)
- 2 carrots (mediums, medium diced)
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 leek (white part only, medium, diced)
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shimeji mushrooms (bottom cut off)
- 3 cups roasted chicken (hand-shredded)
- cracked black pepper (fresh)
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- To cook the rice, drain, rinse and place the soaked rice in a large pot with the chickens stock.
- Add ½ tsp of salt and bring to boil, then lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook the rice for 45 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. This can be prepared in advance.
- To cook the soup, melt butter and warm the olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and season with salt; sweat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the carrot, celery and leeks and cook until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the turmeric and cook for another 1 minute.
- Add 6 cups of the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Then add the shimeji mushrooms, the chicken and the rice.
- Cook until the mushrooms are cooked, and the rice and chicken are heated through.
- Check the soup if it needs more stock, then season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from the heat.
- To serve the soup, remove the tarragon leaves from the stem and add to the soup.
- Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls and serve immediately.
PER SERVING *
|Calories420Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.