Roasting is a wonderful way to prepare vegetables so they take on a caramelized flavor and turn exceptionially tender. That goes for cabbage, too. First it's halved and seasoned with a bit of chicken broth, lemon juice, and parsley. Then it's topped with butter and roasted in a rimmed baking sheet, basting the halves with the juices one or two times while it's in the oven. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot as a side dish for roast pork or chicken.
- 1 cabbage (heart)
- olive oil
- 1 chicken stock cubes
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- parsley (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 190°C (approximately 375°F).
- Cut cabbage lengthwise and rinse without cutting leaves.
- Drain well.
- Place cabbage in a baking dish greased with olive oil.
- Dissolve a chicken broth cube in about 150 ml (approximately ½ cup) hot water.
- Sprinkle cabbage with broth, lemon juice and parsley.
- Put two tablespoons butter on top of each half.
- Bake until cooked, basting often with broth.
- To serve, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with chopped parsley.