- 1 teaspoon juniper berries (lightly crushed)
- 4 tablespoons rosemary needles (fresh, chopped)
- 1 Orange (zested)
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 3/4 pounds venison (haunch)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2/3 pound celeriac (chopped)
- 2 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 4 onions (2 roughly chopped, 2 finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lard (or butter)
- 1 red cabbage (large, trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 1 1/4 cups cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- Combine juniper berries, rosemary, orange zest, lemon zest, 2 tbsp salt, 4 tbsp sugar, allspice and peppercorns. Rub over meat, cover and chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Uncover venison and lightly brush surface. Roll up meat and tie using butcher's twine. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a roasting pan, add venison and sear, turning. Remove from pan. Add celeriac, carrots, roughly chopped onions and garlic and sauté for 4-5 mins. Add tomato paste then red wine and stock. Return venison to pan, cover with foil and bake for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, eggs, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 cup water until smooth then whisk until bubbles form. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Press dough through a spaetzle press directly into water and cook for 4-5 mins, until spaetzle floats to the surface. Remove using a slotted spoon and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Toss with 1 tbsp oil.
- Heat lard in a saucepan, add diced onions and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add cabbage and a pinch of sugar and season. Cover and simmer for 25-30 mins.
- Remove venison from oven and transfer to a separate dish and cover with foil. Strain pan juices. Combine 2 cups strained juices with cranberry juice and vinegar and simmer over low heat. Mix 3 tsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water then add to gravy. Simmer for 2-3 mins until it thickens.
- Mix 1 tsp cornstarch with 1 tbsp water until smooth then add to cabbage and simmer for 5 mins, stirring. Remove cabbage and gravy from the heat.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add spaetzle and sauté for 5-6 mins, stirring. Add nutmeg and season. Sprinkle with thyme. Unwrap venison and slice. Serve with spaetzle, cabbage and gravy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories750Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.