- 2 onions (roughly chopped, plus 1 finely diced onion)
- 2 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1 apples (cored and chopped)
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole clove
- 100 milliliters apple juice
- 1.2 kilograms goose breasts (with skin and bone)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 100 grams smoked streaky bacon (finely diced)
- 1/2 bread (slice, diced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 100 grams mushrooms (finely diced)
- 600 grams mashed potatoes (cold)
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (finely)
- 1 red cabbage (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 75 grams dried cherry
- 5 tablespoons red wine
- 400 milliliters chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn flour
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Mix the chopped onion, carrot, apple, cinnamon stick and whole cloves together and place in a roasting pan. Pour in 2/3 cup water and the apple juice. Place the goose breast on top and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour and 15-30 mins. Increase the heat to 400°F halfway through. Mix the ground cinnamon, ground cloves and syrup together. Spread this over the goose at half-hour intervals.
- In pan over medium-high heat cook the bacon for 4-5 mins until golden. Remove from the pan and add the diced bread and cook in the bacon fat for 2-3 mins then remove from the pan. Add 1 tbsp butter and stir in the mushrooms and sauté for 8-10 mins until golden.
- Mix the mashed potato, flour and egg together then knead in the bacon and parsley. With wet hands, shape the mixture into 12-16 dumplings and add some of the mushroom mixture to the center of each.
- To make the cabbage, heat 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan, add the diced onion and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add the cabbage, cherries and wine and simmer covered for 25-30 mins.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Slide in the dumplings and gently simmer for 15-20 mins. Drain.
- Transfer the goose to a separate baking dish and turn off the oven. Place the goose back in the oven to keep warm. Deglaze the roasting pan with 1/2 cup of hot water then pour the mixture through a sieve into a tall pan. Skim the excess fat. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Mix the cornstarch with 2 tbsp water until smooth then stir into the pan and simmer, stirring, until the gravy thickens. Stir in some sugar and season, to taste.
- Slice the goose and divide between 4 plates. Add dumplings and cabbage to each plate and drizzle with gravy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1900Calories from Fat1080|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1080|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Honey Mustard Chicken FingersHellmann's
Roast GooseMartha Stewart
Smarter Roast GooseEat Smarter
Spiced Roast GooseHari Ghotra
How to Roast a GooseSimply Recipes
Orange-Rosemary Roast GooseGood Housekeeping
Roast Goose with Bacon Dumplings and Red CabbageRecipesPlus