- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 1/2 pounds red cabbage (trimmed and finely sliced)
- 2 cooking apples (peeled, cored and diced)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 duck breasts
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 2/3 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 2/3 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 pear halves (canned)
- 4 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for 3-4 mins, stirring. Add the cabbage and apples and mix well. Stir in the apple juice, cinnamon, cloves and 1/2 cup water. Season, then cover and simmer for 50 mins -1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Score the duck skin with a sharp knife and season all over. Heat a frying pan and place the duck, skin side down, into the pan to sear for 2-3 mins. Transfer the duck to a roasting pan, skin side up, and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a large frying pan, add the potatoes wedges and fry for 10-12 mins until golden and cooked through.
- Remove the duck from the roasting pan and wrap in foil to rest. Deglaze the pan with red wine and place it over low heat. Pour in the stock, 2 tbsp vinegar and sugar and season. Mix the cornstarch with 2 tbsp water until smooth and mix into the gravy and simmer for 2-3 mins, stirring.
- Mix 4 tbsp vinegar into the cabbage. Season and simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Unwrap and slice the duck and place on 4 plates. Divide the cabbage and potatoes between the plates. Drizzle with gravy. Spoon a little cranberry sauce into the pear halves and use one on each plate as garnish.