- 5 pounds duck (Wisconsin C)
- 1 Orange (sliced into quarters)
- poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 oranges
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup grand marnier
- 1 Orange
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash duck in cold water and remove excess fat. Season the inside cavity and the outside of duck with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Place orange quarters inside duck and place in a shallow roasting pan. Cook in hot oven for 30 minutes, then remove duck from oven and prick breast with heavy tine kitchen fork to drain grease.
- Turn oven down to 300 degrees and return duck to oven for 1 hour or 1 hour and 15 minutes until tender.
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and wine vinegar. Cook the mixture over a medium flame until sugar melts and begins to caramelize.
- 2. Add the juice of 2 oranges, Grand Marnier and grated orange rind. Stir well and cook for five minutes.
- 3. Add 1/4 cup orange peel cut into julienne strips, cooked in a little water for five minutes and drained.
- 4. Correct the seasonings and pour over the duckling on a serving platter.