- 4 duck legs
- 4 onions (diced)
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 leek (trimmed and sliced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 2/3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red cabbage (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 pound potato croquettes (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons gravy powder
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- Place the duck legs, a third of the onion, 2 bay leaves and the peppercorns in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat then cover and simmer for 40-45 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the duck from the pan and pat dry using paper towels. Season with salt, place in a roasting pan, then roast for 15 mins. Measure out 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid from the pan, then return the duck to the oven for another 25-30 mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a saucepan, add a third of the onion and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add the leek and carrot and sauté for 3-4 mins, stirring. Pour in the stock and 1 1/4 cups duck cooking liquid. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 mins. Drain the vegetables and reserve the liquid.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the remaining onion and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add the cabbage, cloves, 2 bay leaves and the apple sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 mins.
- Cook the croquettes according to the package instructions.
- Remove the duck legs from the pan and keep warm. Deglaze the pan with the cooking liquid reserved from the vegetables. Pour the juices through a strainer into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix in the gravy powder. Simmer, stirring for 2-3 mins until the gravy thickens. Stir in some sugar and season to taste. Serve the duck legs, cabbage and croquettes on 4 plates and drizzle with gravy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories560Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.