- 4 duck drumsticks
- 4 onions (diced)
- 4 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 leeks (trimmed and sliced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 2/3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red cabbage (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 3 clove
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 pound potato croquettes (frozen)
- 2 tablespoons gravy powder
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- Place the duck legs, a third of the onion, 2 bay leaves and the peppercorns in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat then cover and simmer for 40-45 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the duck from the pan and pat dry using paper towels. Season with salt, place in a roasting pan, then roast for 15 mins. Measure out 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid from the pan, then return the duck to the oven for another 25-30 mins.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a saucepan, add a third of the onion and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add the leek and carrot and sauté for 3-4 mins, stirring. Pour in the stock and 1 1/4 cups duck cooking liquid. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 mins. Drain the vegetables and reserve the liquid.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the remaining onion and sauté for 2-3 mins. Add the cabbage, cloves, 2 bay leaves and the apple sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 mins.
- Cook the croquettes according to the package instructions.
- Remove the duck legs from the pan and keep warm. Deglaze the pan with the cooking liquid reserved from the vegetables. Pour the juices through a strainer into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix in the gravy powder. Simmer, stirring for 2-3 mins until the gravy thickens. Stir in some sugar and season to taste. Serve the duck legs, cabbage and croquettes on 4 plates and drizzle with gravy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories560Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Confit Duck LegsEat Smarter
Recipe | Five-spice duck legsJames Ramsden
Honey Sriracha Duck LegsHunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook
Cajun Roast Duck with Rich Brown GravyFood52
Balsamic Duck Legs with MushroomsTaste
Crispy Braised Duck LegsNom Nom Paleo
Czech Roasted DuckSpicie Foodie
Duck with Maple-Bourbon GravyHunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook
Duck Legs with GarlicCooking In Sens
Mugwort and Flaked Salt DuckEat Smarter
Roast Duck With Orange SauceCDKitchen
Duck with Maple Bourbon GravyHunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook
Thanksgiving Turkey StackHellmann's
Wine Braised Duck LegsSavoring Time in the Kitchen
Slow-Roasted Duck with Olive Gravy and Garlic-Fennel ConfitEpicurious
Christmas Roast DuckMarbling and Marrow
Beaujolais Nouveau Braised Duck LegsAndrew Zimmern
Confit Duck LegsEpicurious