This chicken and rice bake is great for a healthy weeknight dinner. It comes together in less than two hours for an easy and fairly hands off meal. Tomatoes, onions, and leeks make for a flavorful bed that the chicken cooks on while fresh herbs add a delicate freshness to bring the whole dish together. For flavorful rice, it is cooked with chicken stock which gives it a savory and bold kick.
- 2 tomatoes (ripe)
- 1 onion
- 1/2 leek
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1/2 chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ground black pepper
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups broth (homemade)
- Chicken Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the tomatoes in quarters, and spread in a baking pan.
- Cut the onion in quarters, slice the leek, and add to the baking pan.
- With a knife, press the garlic cloves to crack the shell, and distribute them over the vegetables.
- Season with a pinch of salt, thyme, and parsley.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken breast, and cut it in medium-sized pieces. Save the chicken skin.
- In a bowl, mix the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix the chicken thoroughly in this sauce.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, and mix everything.
- Bake for 1 hour, until the chicken is golden.
- Rice Preparation:
- In a saucepan, heat salted water.
- When boiling, add the chicken carcass, chicken skin, carrots, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Heat a casserole, without plastic handles, on the stove-top with a little olive oil.
- Add 1 cup of wild rice, and fry for 2 minutes, stirring to avoid burning.
- Add 2 cups of the broth, prepared with the chicken carcass, and stir.
- Check the seasoning, and let boil.
- Once it starts to boil, transfer the casserole to the oven, and finish cooking (about 10 minutes).
PER SERVING *
|Calories530Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|