- 2 1/4 pounds rump roast (beef)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons peppercorns (multi-coloured)
- 5 onions (peeled, 2 chopped finely, 3 cut into wedges)
- 2 stems parsley (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons hot mustard (medium)
- 2 1/4 pounds potatoes (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 2/3 cup frozen cranberries (or fresh)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 5 tablespoons port
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (mixed to a paste with 2 tbsp water, if neccessary)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Rub the beef with 1 tbsp of the oil and salt. Roast for 45 mins. Make the rub for the peppercorn crust. Crush the peppercorns with a pestle and mortar, place in a bowl and stir in half the chopped onion, parsley and mustard. Halfway through cooking time, pat onto the outside of the beef. Allow to rest for 10 mins before serving.
- For the potatoes, place the potato wedges on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp of oil, season, toss well to coat and roast alongside the beef for 35 mins.
- For the roasted onion wedges, place the onion wedges on a separate baking sheet, drizzle with the remaining oil, season, and roast alongside the beef and potatoes for 25 mins.
- For the cranberry sauce, place the remaining chopped onion, cranberries, sugar, star anise and cinnamon sticks into a pan with 2/3 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 20 mins. Stir in the stock and port and bring to a boil (stir in the cornstarch paste if the sauce needs thickening). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with the beef, potatoes and onions.
|Calories620Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.