Rich, creamy, and decadent, this classic pie is sure to be a family favorite.
- 1 pie crust (store-bought)
- 12 ounces rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 2 medium carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Adjust a rack to sit on the lowest position in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place one pie crust into a 9” pie plate. Line with a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hang over the edges of the plate, and fill with pie weights.
- Bake the crust on the lowest rack for 15-17 minutes, until the edges of the crust are the slightest bit golden and the center of the crust is matte.
- Remove the crust from the oven and carefully lift off the parchment and pie weights.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425° F.
- Dice the cooked chicken into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Dice the onion, carrots, and celery. Remove the thyme leaves from the stems, and finely mince the garlic cloves.
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Once melted, add the onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté for 6-7 minutes, until softened and translucent.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and thyme. Season with 1/2 tsp. of salt and black pepper, to taste. Sauté for a minute longer, until fragrant.
- Add the frozen peas and corn, and cook for a minute, until thawed.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot. Stir to coat the vegetables in flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture smells toasty.
- Slowly stream in the chicken broth, whisking steadily. Continue to whisk until the broth begins to boil and thicken.
- Whisk in the heavy cream. Allow the mixture to reduce and thicken slightly at a low boil for 1-2 minutes. If it is bubbling rapidly, reduce the heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add the cooked chicken, 1/4-1/2 tsp. of salt, and black pepper, to taste. Stir until all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into the blind-baked crust.
- Place the second pie crust on top of the pie. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the pie together. Poke the center of the pie with the fork two to three times, creating holes for steam to escape.
- Use a fork to beat the egg with one teaspoon of water. Lightly brush the egg in a thin layer over the surface of the pie.
- Cover the edges of the pie with a pie guard or strips of aluminum foil.
- Transfer the pie to the lowest rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350° F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes longer, until the crust is golden and the juices are bubbling slightly at the edges.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
PER SERVING *
|Calories320Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.