If you need a side dish that boasts sweet and savory flavors, then try this Rice with Carrots and Chayote Squash. It takes 55 minutes to prepare this delectable dish that has a mere 120 calories. So feel free to have seconds, or pair it with your favorite meat dish. Ingredients include rice, onions, garlic, water, vegetable oil, chiles, carrots, and chayotes. Mix the vegetables with the rice, or pour them over top.
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 piece onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chile
- 3 carrots
- 1 chayote squash
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Heat water until it boils, remove from heat and add the rice. Let sit for 10 minutes and then drain and rinse the rice. Set aside.
- Blend the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup water in the blender. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and saute the chile. When it turns a golden brown color remove it from the pan. Place the washed rice in the same pan, stirring until it changes color slightly.
- Add the blended vegetables, stirring well until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the chile, carrot, chayote, and the rest of the water. Season with salt.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat until the rest of the liquid evaporates completely.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork to mix the vegetables evenly among the rice.
|Calories120Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat35|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.