In this version of seafood risotto, the stock is made by boiling the peeled shrimp shells in water--a frugal tip that's used by chefs and home cooks alike throughout Italy. The flavor comes from the classic trio of garlic, onion, and green bell pepp…
r (another Italian cooking tip) that's sauteed in the beginning. Here, cuttlefish rounds out the shrimp and food coloring is an optional way to impart deeper color to the rice.
- 200 grams shrimp
- 1 liter shrimp stock
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cuttlefish
- ground black pepper
- 250 grams medium grain rice
- food coloring
- Add the shrimp shells to a liter of water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil on high heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the shells from the stock and set aside.
- Add the oil to a skillet on medium heat. Saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the cuttlefish in pieces and cook for another minute. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Add the rice and cook for another minute.
- Add the stock and a few drops of food coloring and mix well.
- Allow the rice to cook for about 18 minutes. With about 5 minutes to go, add the shrimp and stir.
- Serve warm.