Rice-filled Cherry Tomatoes with Mint and PistachiosL'Antro dell'Alchimista
These cocktail party-worthy, one-bite appetizers are fashioned from filling hollowed-out cherry tomatoes with a blend of tomato, garlic, basil and mint-stippled rice. Placed in the oven to bake, they're garnished with chopped, toasted pistachios and can be served warm or at room temperature. Assemble them before guests arrive and bake them about 30 minutes before you're ready to nibble. If you want to switch of the filling, feel free — adding finely diced bits of ham or salami, for example, would work well.
- cherry tomatoes
- rice (Superfine, 1 level tsp. for each tomato)
- tomato purée
- basil leaves (chopped)
- mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 garlic cloves
- pistachios (chopped)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Wash the cherry tomatoes, cut off the tops and set them aside. Carefully remove the pulp and place it in a bowl, then place the tomatoes upside down to drain.
- 2Combine the pulp in the bowl with the rice, a few tablespoons of tomato puree, garlic, a tablespoon of oil, the basil and mint, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 3Let the mixture rest, covered, for a few hours and then remove the garlic clove.
- 4Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 5Grease an oven dish, season the cherry tomatoes lightly with some salt, fill them with the rice mixture, add a few chopped pistachios and replace the top.
- 6Bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- 7Remove the oven dish from the oven and serve cold or warm sprinkled with chopped pistachios.